Thursday, January 27, 2011

What Have I Gotten Myself Into?




Okay, I admit it. I'm a sucker for pups and their pure innocence. And simple requests.

"Would you please teach a class for the local S&M 101 course?"

"Sure. Why not? It's very kind of you to ask."

Who knew it would lead to sleepless nights?

I used to make my living teaching, 16 years of teaching a variety of theatre topics from beginning classes to 200 freshman to graduate level courses and seminars. In the next phase of my life I was teaching several times weekly in an attempt to build hubby's and my business. Educated clients made for more dedicated clients.

Over and over I was told what a good teacher I was. This brings a smile to my face even as I write this because in my heart I know I was very good at "slight of hand" teaching, putting on a good show, sneaking in the material between good laughs, good stories, and well-organized examples. And handouts! I was the queen of handouts! I always knew I wasn't the absolute expert, but I pushed myself to know the material and to share it in memorable ways.

For the past few years I haven't been teaching at all. Sometimes I miss it. Sometimes not so much. Listening to Obama's State of the Union Address and his lip service to teaching as an admirable profession, and our need for qualified educators sent a zing to my heart, but I also know the realities. Teachers are horribly underpaid, at least I always believed that I was. Financial support for education is horrendous. We were no longer "cutting to the bone;" we were amputating complete limbs. There is constant pressure to stay current in your field. And over and over again I saw the "raw material" I was presented in the incoming freshman field was weaker and less prepared than ever before. It was a discouraging situation and I found little joy in it after 16 years.

So, fast forward a few years and here I am, losing sleep over a 1 hour course for maybe 20 people on the simple topic of beginning rope bondage. Okay, that, in itself, is absurd. Rope bondage in an hour? I've been studying it pretty seriously for three years and don't feel like I've scratched the surface. But then I wasn't asked to do an inverted suspension with capacities for twirling somersaults with fireworks shooting out the ass.

My mantra has to be KISS.

Keep it simple, stupid.

1, 2, 3.

That's it. No more.

Three simple topics.

1. Safety

2. Tools

3. A couple of simple, easy binding techniques, easily duplicated, easily transferred to multiple parts of the body, or used to bind body parts to an object or piece of furniture.

I know this much. You should never teach what you don't love. So at least I'm on a good footing here.

I love rope bondage. I passionately love rope bondage. And if I keep reminding myself of that this will turn out to be a fun night. And maybe I'll get some sleep.

For more information go to the Atlanta S&M Solidarity web page. Surprise me. Show up for the class. I promise to have a nice handout.

2 comments:

  1. Really sorry to hear that it is causing you stress. If it makes you feel any better we are really looking forward to it.
    pup Nitro

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL....no worries. It'll be fun. And by now you should know I exaggerate! And "stress" isn't the right word. Can't even think how to really describe it. Probably has to do with me going back to a role I sort of had given up. On the "deja vu" angle work asked me to give a 6 hour course at our national meeting. Now THAT I should be stressing about. LOL

    ReplyDelete