Sunday, December 19, 2010

In My Lifetime

2010--The repeal of "Don't Ask, Don't Tell." (Does it matter? Damn right it does! And bravo to those who have fought the good fight.)
1990-2010--The wins and losses of Same-Sex Marriage fights across our nation. The agony of George W. (there's plenty of room in hell right next to Ronnie and the Pope(s) and with your liver it can't be long)
1998--The murder of Matthew Sheppard (And I wonder how far we've come. And I cry for a lost soul.)
1998--Will and Grace (and more importantly, Jack and Karen and Cher)
1997--Ellen comes out (I watched. I wondered what took so long. Not Ellen. All of us.)
1996--Bill Clinton signs the Defense of Marriage Act (gee thanks, Bill. call me when you grow some balls)
1993--"Don't Ask, Don't Tell." (In my mind a victory of sorts. A stupid, hollow one, but perhaps a necessary link in history)
1993--The National March on Washington. (I was there. I cried seeing all of that love and humanity. Okay. I cry a lot.)
1992--Had my nips pierced. (oops! How did that sneak in here? Oh! That was the day I first met Tony Kushner.)
1991--"Angels in America" (Ten years after the discovery of AIDS and the real discussion has barely begun.)
1990--My BFF dies of AIDS (I have never truly recovered. I miss him today as much as ever.)
1989, 1990--Mapplethorpe and the NEA four. (I met Mapplethorpe and performance artist Tim Miller. They ARE artists. They deserved funding. Them's MY tax dollars too.)
1988--I have dinner with the president of my university where I taught. WITH my hubby. (I think everyone in attendance was shitting their pants.)
1986--Ronald Reagan calls for a decrease in spending on AIDS. Pope John Paul calls all homosexuals "evil" (may they both rot in hell)

1985--Met the love of my life.

1984--I show "Fifth of July" in a theatre class. (I have students walk out in protest. I get my hand slapped by the university.)
1981--AIDS first recognized by CDC
1980--I see "Pink Flamingos" (my life, my art will never be the same)
1978--Harvey Milk assassinated. (I watched a candlelight march of thousands and thousands. I sobbed.)
1977--Harvey Milk elected to Board of Supervisors (I cheered. I cried. I had a hero. My first bonafide hero.)
1976--I see "Rocky Horror Picture Show." (90% of the audience walked out disgusted. I was transfixed.)
1975--My first day in college, my first gay friends. (An amazing day. Completely vivid in my mind)
1973--The declassification of "homosexuality" as an illness by the American Psychiatric Association (I'm no longer "sick!")
1969--Stonewall Riots (Even little boys in Iowa were reading the news)
1968--Meeting my uncle (who I didn't know was my gay uncle until well after his death. But I "knew.")

2011--I go to war with my employer. It's time they give my partner health insurance. Way past time. (What battle do you plan to fight?)

This is MY lifetime and the events that have stuck in MY mind. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment